Wednesday, October 8, 2008

"Night" a novel by Elie Wiesel

I found reading Elie Wiesel's novel Night to be both sad and insightful. It's still so difficult for me to imagine how these atrocities could have occurred in a modern world. And yet, they did. It pains me to think of this teenaged boy, with his whole life ahead of him, having to endure things unimaginable. He describes his memories with such painstaking detail...the good and the bad. I would think the happy memories of childhood would be as painful to recall as the events occurring thereafter that left him without a family and with a fearful sense of surviving alone.

It is a difficult book to read, but I can't help but turn the page to get closer to finding out how he is able to survive. I am not one to ever enjoy reading about any type of suffering that someone, or many, have endured. But this book was an excellent depiction of the loss of youth and is worth the read. If only to arouse tender feelings towards another in his suffering.

1 comment:

cbertucci said...

I found myself agreeing w/ you on your feelings & opinions about the book. You expressed yourself quite well in conveying the raw emotions that surfaced whilst reading about Elie Weisle's horrific ordeal.
I too, do not enjoy reading about other's sufferings...and yet, like you, was drawn into the poignant drama of how life unfolded for the young Elie. I suppose we must forever remember that time in history, so as to never allow such a thing to repeat itself...ever!